Saturday, 9 February 2013

Chinese New Year - Year of the Snake

Tomorrow is the first day of Chinese New Year and we will be welcoming the year of the Snake. The New Year's Eve dinner is the most important dinner for the Chinese whereby all families meet together to have a sumptuous dinner. With me leaving so far away from my family, I miss this tradition every year and I guess I would have to do with skype again!

Maurice and Claire were asking if they will be getting their red packets with money?  As they do not speak cantonese which is my mother tongue and I make it an effort to teach them this phrase "Kong Hei Fatt Choy" which means " Wishing you a Prosperous New Year". They need to greet me with this phrase before they get their red packets and I always chuckled when they say it as their dutch accent is so strong on this cantonese phrase!   The tradition of giving this red envelope was practised as it was believed that the money in the red packet will suppress the evil from the children, keep the children healthy, and long living.  


Each year in the Chinese calendar is represented by one of the 12 animals of the chinese zodiac.  Do you know which zodiac year do you belong to?  You could use this tool to check it out.   

Have you checked out the Chinese New Year Blog Hop organised by Emily - Art from the Heart?  During this hop, you will be able to get some free digis and I have chosen two to create the red packets for the children.

I have chosen cherry blossoms to make the envelope and the insert I used the snake. The sentiment "the year of the snake 2013" is a computer generated. Red is an auspicious colour in the chinese tradition.


Added stickles to the red lanterns

the insert


I know it is a long mail today and thank you for your patience.  Have a lovely weekend!

14 comments:

Cat's sCrap said...

I like ! I like ! I liikkkkkkkkkeeeee ! Funny snake ! Bravo ! Happy Chinese New Year !

Hugs from France.
Catherine.

brenda said...

A delightfully elegant card to celebrate your New Year Lai-Yoke.

Such a shame you are so far from your family, but at least Skype does allow a little morere intimacy than the phone.

I'm not sure of the etiquette, so hope saying Happy New Year to you and your family is appropriate.

B x

joy said...

Happy Year of the Snake to you, Lai-Yoke! Love your card and that snake image is just the cutest!!

Emily Leiphart said...

Haha, so funny about how the kids have to ask for their red envelopes! I love your pull out card, Lai-Yoke! Great design inside and out. Happy New Year to you and thanks so much for playing along with us!!

Michelle said...

Thank you for the sponsoring this blog hop!!! It is amazing :)

Monika Reeck said...

Hi Lai Yoke...cute snake and sweet card too (love the simplicity) and happy chinese new year dear....I just come back pelan2 (not so fast) to the blog land...happy sekali kalau Lai Yoke mau lihat Blog saya...

Miss you dear...and good luck always for you and your family..

Hugs

Mary J said...

That's such a clever idea, Lai-Yoke - love what you've done with the digis!

Dahliamemories CW said...

I would be happy if my kids know to ask red envelopes. They are still a little young. Hopefully they will know more. Great cards. Love the glitter on the lanterns and the insert. What a great idea.

Brenda said...

What a fun card Lai-Yoke! Love the little lanterns!

Fresh Squeezed Stamps (Ryann) said...

What a wonderful idea to use the digis to create your red envelopes! I love they way they turned out! :)

Jessi Fogan said...

Oh, I know my accent is TERRIBLE but of course I remember wishing people "gung hey fat choy!" I am a Dragon, and so is my father, and so is my youngest son :)
I love how you've put the envelope together this way :) The lantern is my favourite of all the images & I hope to get a chance to play too!

Cindy C. said...

So fun and sweet! Thanks for sharing, and Happy CNY!

Greta said...

Awesome card, Lai-Yoke! Great details!

Message Keeper said...

Nice card, Lai-Yoke! Feel sad for you that you miss the Chinese New Year eve dinner! Hope you can make it back to Malaysia one year to have the feel and celebration of Chinese New Year! May the year of Snake being you luck, prosperity and happiness!