Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Thrilled but pissed....

Four months ago, I was so thrilled when I was informed by Northridge Publishing that my vintage card was selected to be published in the CREATE magazine.  After waiting for 6 months, I still have no news of my published card and still waiting in vain for my copy of magazine.  After some correspondence, it turned out that it was their mistake that I was not informed and on top of that they have gone digital!!! Should I be happy or sad???  I was really looking forward to receive the hard copy on my lap and flipping it but aiya... digi is also fine!

The stamps which I used for the card are from Waltzing Mouse, Hero Arts and Paper Smooches. Guess what? I wrote to HA but was told that they do not give incentive to digital publication!  If I was not honest, I would have just scanned it and not informing them that it was digital!  Sometimes, honesty does not pay off! If someone could enlightened my frustration, please tell me what's the difference between being printed in hardcopy of digital when their company name's are clearly printed on it?

I was frustrated as this is the second time that I am using HA products that my cards were published but somehow not awarded!!!  Grrrr....!

Now, I am waiting patiently from the other two companies and hopefully I have better news from them.  I just heard from PS that they are considering offering digital incentive?  What does that mean?

Maybe I should be contented with it and stop complaining....afterall it's my hobby and I should be enjoying with what I am doing.  Yes, positive thinking!  I think I am happier right now.

Here is the card which was submitted......


I am going to make myself happy by stamping.... thank you for listening!




13 comments:

Cat's sCrap said...

New style ! I like ! Wonderful vintage effect. Bravo !

Hugs from France.
Catherine.

joy said...

I feel your pain, Lai-Yoke! I'm afraid this is a sign of the times; digital is the way it will be for everything. BOO!

I had 9 cards using HA stamps in the summer issue of Just Cards. When I submitted a lot of cards, they (HA)were offering cash OR product for published cards. Well, the cash part ended in May! I was very happy to get product, but I would have been much happier to get cash! LOL

Love the card you made today - vintage is always a treat.

brenda said...

What a shame Lai-Yoke, but I am afraid lately I have avoided magazine work. It's lovely to be asked but they do have a habit of messing people about, plus they so often 'forget' to send a complimentary copy.

As for this card, well I love it and so very tactile as well.

B x

Rosemary said...

how awful, yai-loke! it is very unfair that you were not notified that Create had gone digital and that you cannot now submit the card for any incentive program! unfortunately most incentive programs don't reward you for having something printed digitally. however, with so many magazines now going digital I think that these companies that offer incentive programs will have to reconsider their decisions to not reward digital submissions. having said all of that I now need to say "congratulations" on being published... your card is gorgeous!!

Greta said...

This is absolutely beautiful, Lai-Yoke! Unfortunately, HA has always had the policy that it couldn't be a digital publication. It's sad that Create is now only digital--not the same to me & I don't choose to pay for digital subscriptions. Congrats, though, as it's still a big accomplishment! All my submissions to Northridge have been rejected. Enjoy your stamping time, my friend!

Lin said...

I feel your pain, Lai Yoke! It's so exciting to know that a card is being chosen for publication, then such a letdown to get the other news. But you have a great attitude: do it for the joy of creating, and the rest is just icing.
Your card is lovely!

Lisa said...

Hi Lai Yoke. Sorry to hear about your story. I am sitting here wondering myself why it should be any different whether it is a digital or printed publication. That makes absolutely zero sense! Did I not just see that even Papercrafts mag is going digital except for special issues?? I am with you- I don't see the point of even submitting (which I admit I never have) if you won't be given the credit for it. It's advertising either way for all these companies and I think it is crazy they won't acknowledge that fact.
I suppose you should do it because you love it, but it still seems as though you, and others are being shorted.....
Your cards are beautiful and you do such nice work! Keep it up my friend! sending you hugs XXX

Jessi Fogan said...

I can't understand it either - if it is a publication only available if you purchase it, then it should count. Especially with so many going digital now - which I don't like either, because I also won't pay for a digi subscription. Too much good stuff available for free!
I completely understand you being pissed about it - you definitely got booted around about this :( Grrrr. It's a really gorgeous card, though - and I love how you're planning to recover. Crafty time is good :)

Annette Allen said...

well congrats on being published but sorry for the issues you are having.. I know that most of the companies do not offer anything for digital but now that Paper Crafts is going digital too maybe they will consider the incentives.. I hope you get it resolved.

Your card is amazing..

Sue Butler said...

Hello Lai-Yoke
My goodness, what a mess, I personally don't understand why anyone bothers with the Magazines, I am aware that it can boost the ego but in the same vein it can destroy your confidence, digital or hardcopy who really cares what format, if it is designed by a talented person then that should be acknowledged as such. I hope now that you have got it off your chest (so to speak) you can let it go and continue to produce your lovely cards for all of US to admire.
Smiles:)
Sue

Kailash said...

Congratulations on your publication Lai-Yoke, your card is simply stunning. I don't know anything about this publication incentive stuff but am glad that you have a good attitude about your craft, just enjoy and make the most of your talent:-) Hugs

Trinh said...

What a beautiful card, Lai-Yoke! I love the soft colors and textures. Congratulations on your pub too! I feel your pain and feel the same about the no-digital policy. Hopefully they will reconsider with more companies going digital.

Kanan Pandya said...

Love your beautiful card. Congratulations on your publication Lai-Yoke!! I am really happy that you going to enjoy your creativity. You always create beautiful cards friend. :-)